Thursday, October 2, 2014

Sun Damage

This is a piece of watercolor artwork I did when I was 11 years old.  It is an example of why you need to protect your artwork from  the effects of sunlight.  I gave this to my Grandmother as a present and she hung it on the wall in her bedroom.  I don't think it received a large amount of sunlight but when it was framed it had an oval matte to fix my compositional problems.  You can see the effects of 30 plus years hanging in her house exposed and then you can compare it to the parts of the picture which where covered by the matte.  Even the most light fast or resistant paint will fade in sunlight.  This is fairly standard on any artwork and is why you should spend the money for a quality frame and ultra-violet resistant glass, which was not available in 1977.  These will help along with hanging your Artwork in a protected area away from direct sunlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment