Sunday, July 20, 2014

The start of Juneau Welcoming Committee Oil painting



Today, I will talk about part of the process to making art.  I do a lot of sketching.  Sometimes I end up developing some of the sketches into ideas for oil painting. This weekend I attended a two day oil painting class with Armand Cabrera at the Great Falls Foundation of Art in Great Falls, Virginia. I worked on this on Saturday.  I used the preliminary as a bit of a guide.  I then worked in the initial scrub of painting.  The background was too bright and I took Armand's advice and pushed the tones down by greying them into a fairly tight range and then adjusted them to draw in the low tide exposed shoreline.  I added the posts of the channel markers and the number board, then  I developed the water in the channel.  Overall, I am pretty happy with the results.  Late this week I will add the eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment