Monday, March 17, 2014

Spring Time Dreaming

So what do you do on a snow day after a long, snowy winter? Paint a small oil of Spring Time and what you hope to see.  I sketched this scene from along the Interstate in Pennsylvania on a road trip to Indiana.  The pencil sketch and a white chalk and charcoal sketch.


So you can see the editing process, The two sketches are closer to what I saw and remembered.  The sketches are based on a very rough quick sketch done while the wife drove down the Interstate.  The scene passed too fast to capture with a photograph, but I captured the image in my head and transferred it to the sketchbook.  After digressing the image for awhile the flower pattern did not work and it bothered me.  So I edited the flowers into a more interesting pattern and composition.  This is the beauty of painting vs. photography.  I can use the basics from nature but I can edit to make better art.  Now I will wait and see if I like the painting enough to make a larger version.

No comments:

Post a Comment